Surf Junction Campground Covid-19 Operations Statement
Here at Surf Junction we are taking Covid-19 very seriously and have been making plans based on the needs of our community and the safety of campers and staff.
Our operation plans might change depending on the current status of the virus and if there are any new cases or not. With guidance from BCCDC, worksafebc and our provincial health officer.
1. Our Opening and Operation Plans
We have broken how we’re handling COVID-19 into the following categories: camping, office, grounds and amenities, and the Surf Junction Surf School.
Phase 3: July 1– October 11 (Closing) unless changes in regulations occur Camping:
- Overflow camping will be OPEN from July 1st -September 6th.
- Visitors are now allowed at the campground, but they must check-in at the office.
- Please bring sanitizing wipes and supplies to sanitize handles/nozzles/surfaces around the campground that you are using. We will be excessively cleaning surfaces as well as providing hand sanitizers throughout the campground. But we are encouraging people to use and bring their own as an extra precaution.
- The cleaning schedules will be posted outside of the bathrooms.
- PLEASE do NOT flush any sanitizing wipes! They will destroy our septic system. No Bueno.
- Masks are recommended in all indoor spaces
- The main office will be OPEN and people will be able to enter and check-in at our main desk.
- We will have a maximum of 3 people in the office at a time.
- Masks are recommended in the office.
- Office hours will be 9am-9:30pm.
- Check-in will be pushed back to 1pm to give us more time to clean.
- Please wait in your vehicles if there is a line for check-in.
- Check-out will still be any time after 11am.
- We will still be selling basic supplies, merchandise, snacks, and coffees.
Grounds and Amenities:
- Sauna is OPEN.
- The hot tub will be OPEN. There is a max occupancy of 4 people to ensure physical distancing measures. If people break the COVID-19 rules in regards to the hot tub, we will CLOSE it immediately.
- Our main bathroom facilities will be OPEN. Please expect there to be lines due to us restricting the number of people allowed in the bathrooms at a time. We still suggest bringing your own solar shower or self-contained vehicle.
- All shower stalls and bathroom stalls will be OPEN.
- The Back Lot bathrooms are OPEN.
- The new Communal Building in the Back Lot will be CLOSED. We might revisit this again in August.
- All individual toilets will be OPEN: Han Solo toilet, The Three amigos, and the composting toilets.
- The volleyball net will be CLOSED
- The field will be OPEN, however, we will NOT be doing any activity rentals; soccer ball, badminton, etc.
- The Covered Area will OPEN with physical distancing measures in place. We recommend wiping down picnic tables with your own sanitizer/disinfectant before using them OR putting down a table cloth.
Surf Junction Surf School and Surf Rentals
- Surf lessons and surf rentals will be available with extra safety precautions put into place- please expect things to take a little bit longer for us to collect surf gear.
- Pacific Rim National Park is OPEN. We do our lessons at either Wickaninnish Beach or Long Beach.
- We will NOT be offering rides in the surf buses due to physical distancing and cleaning concerns.
- We will NOT be strapping boards onto people’s cars. This is to help keep our staff safe from exposure.
2. Surf Junction Campground’s COVID-19 Measures
We are taking this situation very seriously and have taken the following measures to ensure our staff and campers safety:
- Plexiglass at the check-in desk and the surf shack.
- We will have hand sanitizers outside of the bathrooms, office, garbage bin, and throughout the campground.
- We will be requiring all guests and staff practice physical distancing (2 meters apart)
- Increase our bathroom facility cleans to 3 times a day, which will include spraying down everything with either a bleach and water solution OR using SaniKleen, a hospital grade disinfectant EPA/DIN# 1839-119.
- Posting signage throughout the campground to encourage people to wash their hands and practice physical distancing.
- Closing certain amenities that pose a greater risk of exposure.
Surf Junction Surf School and Rentals
- All wetsuits will be thoroughly washed in vinegar and laundry detergent.
- All surfboards will be sprayed down once returned with bleach.
- All pens and points of contact will be sanitized after each use.
3. Surf Junction Campground COVID-19 Rules
- Every camper must practice Physical Distancing while on the campground’s premises. This means you must be standing 2 metres away from other campers. The includes waiting in lines at the office and bathrooms.
- If you, or anyone in your group, are experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms (cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fever, chills, muscle pain, sore throat and or new loss of taste or smell), do NOT come out to the campground. Contact the office and we will give you a full refund.
- You CANNOT self isolate yourself at the campground. We are asking that campers do not stay with us if they are experiencing symptoms or have been out of Canada in the last 14 days.
- Visitors are now allowed at the campground and they must sign in at the office.
- The person making the reservation must keep a list of everyone camping in their group.
- Do not attempt to access amenities that are closed.
- Use the bathrooms! We are cleaning them regularly based on health regulations. It is NOT ok to go to the bathroom in the bushes. You will be charged a $75 cleaning fee.
- We recommend all travellers abide by the BC Government’s travel advisories and restrictions. You can find the latest travel advisories here:
If we find that people aren’t following these measures we will simply close the campground for the summer.
4. Tips and Reminders for Campers and Tourists Visiting Tofino and Ucluelet During Covid-19.
While we are excited to start having tourists come back and enjoy this beautiful coast, we just wanted to remind everyone that we are a small, isolated community that has limited resources and thus makes it vulnerable. So we wanted to ask everyone to consider the following in order to help protect our community:
- Please respect every store and business COVID-19 rules while shopping and visiting (including ours).
- Wear a mask while in town and when doing any shopping. And wash your hands often.
- Do not do any risky or dangerous activities. Our hospital is small and only has so many beds. We want to keep space and resources available in case there are any COVID-19 cases in the community.
- Practice physical distancing during your entire stay.
- If you’re experiencing any symptoms, STAY HOME!
Can’t wait to see everyone this summer and thank you, for helping us flatten the curve!
Kaleigh and Nick Haisch
Owners at Surf Junction